St. John Nepomucene Church
On December 8, 1885 the first Mass was celebrated at St. John Nepomucene Catholic Church in a 24’ x 30’ wooden structure that was erected on the current site. In 1891, under Fr. Klein’s direction, a sacristy and 32’ x 24’ annex were added to the existing building, doubling its size. The interior of the church was remodeled with new pews, side altars, statues, and a pulpit. Five lots adjoining the church were purchased for $200 in 1894 for future needs. When Bishop Bonacum returned in 1897, 110 parishioners were anticipating the Sacrament of Confirmation. In 1905 the existing wooden church was moved off its foundation and purchased for $553 and the new church was built on this same site. On July 25, 1906 the entire parish community celebrated the dedication of the new church. In 1915 the parishioners built a rectory east of the church for Fr. Bor, the first resident pastor, and all future priests. In 1947 Fr. Otto Ekhaml had the supporting bars put in the church, the stained glass windows replaced, and a new church roof installed. The doors of the St. John Nepomucene Catholic Grade School were opened to 56 students in September, 1956 and Fr. Ekhaml recruited the Notre Dame Sisters of Omaha to staff the classrooms and reside in the convent. He served the parish and operated the school for 28 years. Fr. Paul York became pastor in 1974 and during his tenure, the church was extensively remodeled with parishioners volunteering to help paint, install carpeting and new pews, and update the interior of the church. In 2005 Fr. Tom Brouillette started a renovation on the school and the church, which was completed and on Sunday, June 5, 2011, Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz, along with Fr. Christopher Goodwin, celebrated Mass of Rededication and the 125th Anniversary of the church. At this Mass, he consecrated the altar with sacred chrism and performed special blessings in the church. As of October 1, 2015 there are 132 registered envelopes (individuals/ families) at St. John Nepomucene Catholic Church.
St. Vitus Church
On August 18, 1902 Bishop Bonacum gave his permission for construction of a new church at Touhy. The design was a wooden 36’ x 80’ building with a brick veneer. On October 7, 1903 the church was officially dedicated and the first Mass was said by Fr. Rippenberger. In 1913 the parishioners petitioned Fr. Mlejnek to seek approval from the Bishop to build a parish house which measured 34’ x 26’, consisting of two stories and a basement, and had nine rooms plus a bath. It was located directly east of the church. Fr. Mlejnek was appointed first resident pastor of St. Vitus parish. On December 8, 1937 Rev. Joseph Bauer suffered a stroke from which he never recovered. He was the first and only priest to die while serving as pastor of St. Vitus. In September, 1938 Rev. Wenceslaus Beranek was appointed pastor and served until June, 1956—the longest tenure of any pastor. In 1946 Fr. Beranek started plans to remodel the church. Thirty-nine acres of land, east of the cemetery, was deeded to St. Vitus Church on May 8, 1961. In 1965, St. Vitus Parish was made a mission church of St. John Nepomucene in Weston. By 1976 there was talk that St. Vitus might be closed. Bishop Glennon Flavin consented to allow the church to remain open if the parishioners would repair the physical structure, make a greater effort to support Catholic education and work to increase the piety of the parish in relation to the universal church. The exterior repairs began in July, 1976 and work began on the interior in January, 1977. On June 15, 2003 St. Vitus celebrated its Centennial with a Mass concelebrated by Bishop Fabian Bruskewitz and Rev. Randall Langhorst. In 2014 an office room and restrooms were added onto the west side of the church instead of building a parish hall. As of October 1, 2015 there are 79 registered envelopes (individuals/ families) at St. Vitus Catholic Church.